Tuesday, 6 January 2009

The all new life and times of me.

Happy New Year folks. It’s time for those pesky New Years resolutions. A time to reflect on the stuff we need to do to improve our lives. What will it be this year? Shed some weight? Exercise more? Be a better person? Get a new job? I’ve thought about all these options as perfect ways to improve my life. If I lose some weight, I’ll miss not being able to have my gut hold open a book when I reach for my peanut M&M’s. Exercising more would be good, but I’m pretty fit. I do a 40-minute walk to work every day and try to be as physical as possible whilst doing my job. Throw a bit of wii fit and the occasional five-aside football game into the mix, and you have a Marky that’s still hard as nails at 35.

So, to one of the most poignant ones, find a new job. How I would love a new career, a new adventure in my life that didn’t involve selling metal cladding for the Devil. I’ve been looking for a new job for the last two years, and as you can imagine, it has suddenly got harder to find work because of the credit crunch. This time last year, I was offered a job in the bank, but I didn’t take it because again, it’s not what I wanted to do. A bit of an asshole thing to say as there are loads of people who would love to have work, but can’t get it. Nevertheless, I have to be true to myself. I never wanted to end up selling metal cladding to half the gangsters in Glasgow for a guy that enjoys sectarianism, nepotism, tax fraud and lying about mostly everything. I wanted to be an artist. Not just an artist, the biggest artist to come out of Glasgow. I had some small success during Glasgow’s year of architecture (looking up to Glasgow). I got myself an exhibition and some recognition for one of my pieces, an ink sketch of George Square unbelievably. I’d spent a day with a fountain pen drawing it, using a cross-hatching technique. It was really a filler piece because my work was a bit light, but a couple of upper class types loved it, and it was then transferred to a display for looking up to Glasgow, in The Modern Art Gallery. I then sold it for £500 later that year. Cha-Ching!

It all went down hill from there, artistically speaking. My art wasn’t selling; I put it on hold so that I could concentrate on feeding myself and putting a roof over my head. My new art was finding a job and quick. Eight years later, I find myself completely without inspiration when it comes to picking up a brush. I still sketch things, the cat, Shona, anything that stays still for longer than five minutes, but it’s getting less and less every year. I’m thinking now, after the death of my old neighbour, that it would be nice to keep the painting until I’m retired. Something to throw myself into and keep me active, you know the kind of thing, bit of travel, bit of painting, nice. So, where does that leave me you ask? Right back where I started I guess, looking for a new job that’s worthwhile and enjoyable. I will get there. I know that. I’ve always been strong whatever life throws at me, and I will continue to be so. Celtic blood flows through these veins.

That leaves me with being a better person this year, which I suppose what this post is really about. From now on the life and times of me will be about my life, and less about Blessed and the Daily Mash ect, ect. I intend to be honest about every aspect of my life from birth. Not to the point you can empty my bank account, but true to myself and to you the reader. However, don’t fret you-tube lovers, I’ll still be throwing up the odd visual/audio tit-bit to emphasise some point or another. This neatly brings me to this little gem. I dedicate it to my art, I know yer there pal, I’ll come out to play soon, I promise.

6 comments:

Sailor Matt said...

I like the new blog style! I do hope you reconnect with your art this year, Marky. Everyone should have something in their life that they feel passionate about. Cap'n Joe has his writing, and I have my toenail clipping collection, and you should have your art.

In the mean time, if I ever need to buy metal cladding from the Devil's hand, I know who to call :)

Captain Joe said...

But where will I turn for a Blessed fix?

All the best in your endeavours, Marky. Sailor Matt's right, I do indeed have my writing. Keep working on your art - get back to work on your art - t'is the only way to succeed, to hone the talent down to a fine point.

marky said...

Not to worry guys. As I said, I still do a bit now and again. I'll pick it up a bit more, but I don't have time to go on location so to speak. Hopefully retirement will bring lots of locations to paint. If I could be half as good at painting as you guys are at the writing and the toenail clipping, then I'll be a happy camper.

Anyway, more to come on my warts and all life story. I'm having a year of complete honesty and it's starting to feel beautiful.

Fe2O3 said...

Ah, the Air Supply memories. I camped out over night for tickets to an Air Supply concert. (Got front row, too) Not because I was an Air Supply freak, mind you, but because of the score potential when you ask a girl if she wants to go to the Air Supply concert with you and be on the front row. "All out of love," nice choice to represent the drop in inspiration for your art. Keep workin' at it though. Perhaps some new inspiration is right around the corner.

Good luck on the new career path search. I'm somewhat in that boat right now. I've enjoyed what I've been doing for the last 15 years, but now it feels like its time to do something different. I don't know what yet. I look forward to more of your posts even if they will be sans bank account information.

WV:rolign.
Rolign, rolign, rolign!
Keep them talents rolign!
Keep them talents rolign, Mar-kee!
(Sorry couldn't resist.)

Sailor Matt said...

And don't forget the classic lyrics from Elton John's Tiny Dancer: "hold me closer, Tony Danza..."

marky said...

And I'm inspired by Rusty. You made me laugh so hard I hosed down my monitor with my lunch time spicy sausage! I'm thinking of spraying some glue on it, and displaying it as some kind of Tracy Emin style homage.

Tony Danza!:-) More glue and sausage required. Drat!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
I live in a Pigeon loft in Glasgow. I fight dogs for food and mug cows for drink. Monkeys live in my beard. I have lived for centuries under my bed and only came out when they invented peanut m&m's. I understand everything.

Tunes