Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Earth Day



Well, it would appear that Earth day is upon us once more, and I’d like to take this opportunity to give a big shout out to the daddy of all fish, the original bloodsucker and the oldest living fish, the lamprey. (I watched a TV programme about them last night!)

The lamprey was a gastronomic treat for the upper classes in the middle ages, and some countries still eat them. Countries like Sweden and South Korea. I’ve never tried them myself, but I have used them for bait, when I go fishing. Mostly I use them for fishing pike. And it’s not just any old pike I fish for; I fish for the monsters only found in the deepest lochs in Scotland. Places like Loch Awe, and Loch Ness. The biggest pike in Scotland was caught in Loch Lomond, and it weighed in at a hefty 47lbs 11oz. I’ve fished Loch Lomond a lot, but I’ve only ever caught eels and jack pike. But one day…..

Let’s not get sidetracked by tales of monster pike, I want to wax lyrical about the oldest living fish. And when I say this fish is old, I’m not talking dinosaur old, oh no. I’m talking even older! In fact, it’s estimated that the lamprey, first reared its not so attractive head, about half a billion years ago. That’s freaking old! Being the Methuselah of fish might make us their descendant, who knows. What I do know is the lamprey has survived four global extinctions, and that makes it one hard fish.

Also on the programme, was a Vampire fish! They found it in March this year. It’s called, Danionella Dracula. Here it is.


Freaky, eh? We’re actually, still finding new species in 2009. Amazing!

I mention all this on Earth day because above all else, I would love to see our oceans protected. In Scotland, our government are paying for the decommissioning of fishing boats. A good step, but we need to stop pollution in all its forms. We need to address what we take from the oceans and earth, and how much we really need it. Even gardeners are at fault when it comes to pollution. You would think the greenest of all humans respect the earth above all else, but a huge amount are still using peat-based compost. We need our peat bogs! Stop it, you tweed-wearing nutters!

Do you know those little plants in a pot you can buy in places like IKEA? Well they use suppliers that go through a hell of a lot of peat. See, you thought buying these plants was a nice green thing to do. It’s not! If you want plants in your house, use a small business that grows their plants using a peat free alternative.

When I go fishing, I usually camp out. I enjoy getting back to nature, and feel more at home in a tent than my bed at home. There is something strengthening about a good week out in the open. It’s soulful, meditative and character building….and smelly….very, very smelly.

Recently, when I’ve gone fishing, I’ve turned up at one of my spots to find that the previous campers had left the place in a mess. I have to spend an hour tidying up cans, empty bags, dead fish, food wrappers, and other people-crap. I find it crazy that some people can enjoy nature and treat it with such contempt at the same time. It’s like giving someone a cuddle, and then kicking them in the balls! Truly insane behaviour. Is it going to get to the point that we’ll have to pay an entry fee to go to the countryside or seaside? I really hope not. I really hope we spend more on finding new sources of fuel, and educate people on how to take care of this beautiful blue jewel we share.

Anywaaa, I think that is I for today folks. Have a good earth day. Don’t leave the telly on standby, try to understand I love my self-righteous rants, give a hearty arrr for the lamprey, and most importantly, hug a hippy.

Peace.
Marky

3 comments:

David Wagner said...

O, for peat's sake! Yer nothin' but a whiny liberal! :P

Surely, I jest. I could do my part to battle global warming by consuming some beano, I suppose... my methane footprint is larger than average... hey, I enjoy a good blast as much as the next guy, what can I say...

Do you really think you descended from a lamprey!? O_O If I had a funny comment along the lines of "That might explain the ____" I would put it here. But I don't, so you'll need to provide your own, sorry...

First comment! Do I win something for that?

Thanks for posting.

logankstewart said...

Marky, I feel ya on the camping thing. My brother and I would go camping all over the place when we were younger, back when the Earth was cleaner and greener. Now, it seems like there is only refuse and waste. Bah.

Earth day is a day to celebrate this wonderful planet and its beauty; and, nice, strange, fish, too.

marky said...

David, Ha! That's so true. I am a whiney liberal! And I've just had a look at your Earth day post, and I would have to say that there's probably a plant somewhere in your house that has jumper fluff on it! Hug the tree's man, they love it.

Logan, camping is my favourite pastime....Well, that and gaming. It's a very relaxing pastime. Glad you like it too. (there's always time for strange fish!)

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
I live in a Pigeon loft in Glasgow. I fight dogs for food and mug cows for drink. Monkeys live in my beard. I have lived for centuries under my bed and only came out when they invented peanut m&m's. I understand everything.

Tunes