Tuesday, 28 April 2009

An Ode To Almost

I’d like to dedicate a post to almost. A post to the word, that haunts us all from time to time. It’s all the things we meant to do, it’s all the things we’re glad we didn’t do. Let’s put almost into Google and see what we come up with:

Almost is a term in mathematics (especially in set theory) used to mean all the elements except for finitely many.

Eh? Erm thanks, Wikipedia.

Let’s try again

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English ealmoest, from eall + moest
Date: before 12th century

That’s better! Ye old Middle English. You can’t beat it. In fact, can you imagine how the word came about back then? Two guys having a duel, maybe? One says to the other ‘Ye gads man, ye ealmoest had my eye out with that!’ or maybe it was a pig farmers wife, chastising him? ‘When it rainith last night, ye ealmoest got a wash, smellyith!’

However the word came about, it has been used many times to express the near misses that we lament, or the lucky escapes from which we’re thankful for. So, today as a mark of respect to ‘ealmoest’, I’m doing a list. That’s right, a list. Who doesn’t like lists? I think they’re a bit like ice-cream. There’s always room for a good list, and there’s always room for ice-cream……especially Ben & Jerry’s.
So here’s my list of ealmoests:

1. I almost got married a couple of times.
2. I almost died a couple of times.
3. I can almost play the guitar.
4. I can almost play the harmonica.
5. I almost met Springsteen.
6. I almost know everything there is to know about metal cladding screws.
7. I almost hung myself when I found out I know too much about metal cladding screws.
8. I almost became a professional boxer.
9. I almost never went out on the night I met my Shoney.
10. I almost kept hanging out with rich shallow people, because I liked the lifestyle.
11. I almost burned down my flat.
12. I almost never started a blog.
13. I almost…..Ah, sod it. Let’s stop with the list making. Lists truly suck. I mean, I could go on like this all day, and it’s starting to smell like regret. And regret is for those that deserve it. Yeah, I retract my previous statement about lists. Lists are the devils work, and not at all like ice-cream. Meh!

Anyway, to almost, my word of the day. Six letters that carry a lifetime of missed opportunity and lucky escapes.

And please, feel free to grab your hairbrush, jump in front of a mirror and mime to the tune that inspired this post. As you-tube have cancelled all the proper music videos, I give to you the music styling’s of a stick man who 'almost had you'.

6 comments:

David Wagner said...

Cool song.

OK, so the times you almost died... by chance were you almost beaten to death with a lamprey? That would have been cool. Almost.

"Here's lies Marky, beaten to death with a lamprey."

Reminds me of a scene in 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' where a certain character beat another certain character to death using a certain object which shall, at this point, remain unidentified, in case there are innocent children and/or puppies reading this comment...

Dave the Turd

logankstewart said...

This is an interesting and reflective post. I try not to think back on all the crap that I've done (and not done), but instead to look back and be proud of my choices. This is not always the case, but, unfortunately, it is/was who I am/were.

Keep 'em up, friend.

Anonymous said...

Good post, I almost didn't read it tonight.

It did provoke me into thinking. I rarely "almost" do anything, so that means everything wacky, wonderful and woeful that I've done was deliberate and generally full throttle. D'OH!!!

Hey, I've almost died but only once did I REALLY almost die, that was not fun at all! Yea I eaelmost Kicked ye olde buckette.

I almost didn't buy giant Cheetohs...where's Sailor Matt anyway? I think they invented them right when he was hired!

Hey, this summer I almost quit my job. What a kooky idea that was. My immediate boss talked me out of it. I will put that into the "almost certainly foolish" list.

I think this post will almost give me insomnia as I try to recall any more near misses or good saves.

marky said...

David, nothing as exciting as getting beat to death by a dildo, I’m afraid.
I nearly drowned when I was a kid, then as a drunken teenager, I decided to walk across a dam. Not my sharpest moment. Let's just kid on I was on some sort of James Bond style mission, and Grace Jones was chasing me!

Logan, as always, I like the cut of your jib. No regrets, no fear.

Sedulo, I hope you weren't up all night pondering your almost!
I forgot to put my biggest almost in. I almost got an advanced copy of Best Served Cold, but apparently, it was sent ages ago, and it's been waylaid by the great British postal service. Something tells me I'll never see it. Much sadness envelopes my wee broken heart.
I need a multi-pack of Cheeto's to cheer me up!

David Wagner said...

Huge bummer about the advanced copy of Best Served Cold. Signed and everything. I would plunge into ice-cold despair - it's a good thing you're a stronger person than I! Your blood-to-football ratio is way up there, keeping you full of vigor and level-headed. Good choice.

marky said...

Yeah, I'm pretty raging about the whole thing. Why didn't they send it out on recorded delivery, or even use a courier? Why do people pinch things that don't belong to them? Why doesn't Joe send me another copy? Would it really cost so much to send out another copy on recorded delivery?

Why, why, why!!

Ok, rant over. I feel slightly better now. Or am I feeling slightly bitter now? You decide. (Did you see what I did there?)

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
I live in a Pigeon loft in Glasgow. I fight dogs for food and mug cows for drink. Monkeys live in my beard. I have lived for centuries under my bed and only came out when they invented peanut m&m's. I understand everything.

Tunes