Friday, 27 February 2009

Patrick Rothfuss, and The Wise Mans Fear.

I did have something else to write about today, but events have taken a turn for the, well, superamazingsplendiferous, and it seems only right I give them the full attention they deserve. As you’re all probably aware of, the legend that is Pat Rothfuss has announced that he will be giving us a chance to win the most amazing prize in the world. Yeah, that’s right. More amazing than winning the real lottery, more stunning than winning a night out with your favourite musician, more appealing than a five course meal at Ronald MacDonald’s house. What I’m referring to of course, is the unbelievable chance to actually have a character in The Wise Mans Fear, with a name you have created! I think I might have just sharted.

Now the reason for the majestic bearded one, doing such a fandabulicious thing, is to apologise for the delay of his book. A delay that a lot of people were disappointed with. If I’m honest, you can’t read The Name Of The Wind and not be gagging to know what happens next in Kvothe’s life. It’s only natural. But, I understand that writing a book as good as TNOTW, takes ages. So, trying to write a book that lives up to the first book, must be harder than trying to scratch your arse with your teeth. My own personal feelings about the book not coming out in April, as Amazon promised, (Who would have thought Amazon would lie to people to get their money off them? Go figure. They’ll be selling pepper spray next….oh, wait…they already do…the Bastards!) is one of Beautiful calm, and reasonable understanding.

I, like many of you, want the best possible book we can read. And if it takes another ten years in the writing, well hell, I’m willing to wait those ten years. There are plenty more books to keep me busy. That’s not to say I won’t be checking out any and every rumour about the release date, I’m only human after all. Well, part human part hamburger, part peanut M&M’s, but still human none the less. So, be like Marky people. Hawd on to your exasperations, batten down your excitable nature, and look forward to the possibility of having someone you named, in what could be, one of the best books of our generation. Damn, I sharted again!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I have to get naked again, with my gunblade, whilst hanging a hundred feet off the side of the building, precariously balancing six copies of the NOTW for a scenic cityscape shot, then by God, I will do it for this prize.

And more.

Game on, Marky, whatever that game may be...

If I win, then I'll suggest a fitting name for the character, such as Captin Jopleus. A fitting name for fantastic fantasy.

marky said...

Ha, brilliant as per-usual, El Capitano. This makes me immediately aware, that I have to go into training to defeat you. I will be going through an intense training course as of tomorrow. Five hours of Dr Kawasaki’s brain training, two hours of dodging needles and broken Buckfast bottles in the East End of Glasgow, and copious amounts of fighting crime in my Maws tights.

Oh, and did you enter Joe Abercrombie’s competition for a copy of Best Served Cold? I wonder if anybody tried the ‘I’m dying’ line? I know it’s wrong, but I did think about it for a second! That should give you a hint at the lengths I will go to for this prize.

As Mr Holmes would say, the game is afoot!

And, as you my friend/mortal enemy have said, whatever that game may be...

logankstewart said...

I completely agree, Marky. I'm more than willing to wait for something that'll be of the same caliber as TNOTW. And the contest will surely be interesting, too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, while you menfolk duke it out, I will be quietly planning my elegant and stunning entry for the yet to be defined WMF contest.

I don't know if I should feel sad or alarmed that Pat feels SO guilty about the book that he is having a contest with such an amazing prize that it inspires sharting.

Good one "Captain Jopleus"! I've been thinking up less militaristic names in the hopes of not having the character becoming one of Ambrose's personal guard.

Ha, I entered Abercrombie's 'Best Served Cold' contest too! It didn't cross my mind to say anything about dying. I see how y'are... diabolical!

Dodging needles and broken Buckfast bottles must cause an edge of ruthless desperation I have heretofore not encountered! ;)

Game on indeed!

Anonymous said...

Aye, of course I entered Abercrombie's contest!

My game plan involved praising his sparkling wordplay and threatening to unleash the Joker riding Falcor if I didn't win. Yep, I pandered his ego and threatened his life all in the same sentence - and included the Falcor image that's up on my blog.

I also mentioned not being Frank Sinatra... trust me, there was context.

Yikes, Sedulo, elegant and stunning? Marky and I may need to put aside our senseless bitter conflict and join forces to crush all opposition.

marky said...

Logan, I forbid you to enter any competitions. And that goes for the rest of you! Only I and a blind monkey with a speech impediment may enter. And the monkey might need to get knee capped, just to make sure. (It's a bad day when you fear a monkeys talent, eh?)

Sedulo, I'm sure Pat will take it as a complement that the mere thought of putting a name to one of his characters, causes extreme sharting. So you should be feeling happy, with a side order of alarmed! While I, will continue to feel slightly soggy.

Joe, you might be right. Sedulo is indeed a threat. I'd join forces with you, but I feel I might just be walking into a 'Bank job at the start of the dark knight' kind of scenario!

I can only imagine the smack you lot laid down on poor Joe Abercrombie. I fear for his sanity!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
I live in a Pigeon loft in Glasgow. I fight dogs for food and mug cows for drink. Monkeys live in my beard. I have lived for centuries under my bed and only came out when they invented peanut m&m's. I understand everything.

Tunes