I’ve not entered the blogosphere for a while, so I thought it’s about time I updated my blog-world. It’s late, and I’m trying to tire my brain out. What to talk about? I think I’ll tell you about today.
Today was freaky. It started well enough, I was quiet in the morning, so I managed to catch up on my e-mails, weird-web browsing, and yes, eventually I did some work too. Just before lunchtime, I was talking to one of the guys in the factory. His name is Scott, and he’s a twenty-five year old who stays round the corner from my work, in a place called Rutherglen. It isn’t the most dangerous place in Glasgow; I have the privilege of staying in one of the most dangerous places in Glasgow, but it’s not an all together harmless little area. Anyway, Scott was telling me about how one of his friends, had stabbed one of his other friends to death. It happened at two o’clock yesterday afternoon. They both had been taking blue valium, and drinking, when they started arguing. One thing led to another, and murder ensued.
The murderer, was twenty years old, and still a virgin. He had never been in trouble a day of those twenty years. Never spent five minutes in jail, or truly loved a woman.
The victim was twenty-two, and your typical angry Glasgow youth. No job, no hope. His only urge was to turn his shite life into one big party using smoke, drink and pills.
As if that wasn’t enough, I was also talking to another Scott in my work. I’ve known ScottII for years. He comes from my hometown, East Kilbride. (EK is famous for housing John Hannah, and Aztec Camera. Please, don’t tell anybody.) He’s a couple of years older than I am, but we have friends in common. In fact, I was the one who broke the news to him, years later, that his ex girlfriend was his ex, because she was a lesbian. I won’t tell you how I know that.
Anyway, ScottII was telling me that his fifteen-year old sister was at a party on Saturday with her friend. After a few hours, her friend’s mother appeared and took her home. ScottII’s sister stayed at the party. An hour later, her friend had come back to the party in tears. Her big sister had, yes, you guessed it, stabbed her mother to death. Drink/Drugs, again.
Scotland has the worst murder record in Western Europe. Why? Is it the drink and drugs? Is it the politicians squeezing my country dry of its resources, while failing to deal with social and financial ills brought on by greedy bankers, and lack of opportunities? Is it the idiot that sticks a pill in his/her mouth, and then picks up a knife? Is it the parents? Is it me?
What it really comes down to is we’re all screwed. How many of you have had an older relative that used to wax on about how they used to be able to leave their door open? And how neighbours, would look out for one another? I wager a few of you have. Now look at what’s happening all around you today. Society is going to Hell, while we concentrate on getting our slice of the pie. You’ve probably met quite a few people who dine on commercial pie. They’re easy to spot, they’re the gits who never hold the door or lift for you.
People need to provide for their families, and put food in their bellies, it’s always been that way, but we’re turning into a society of merchandise loving drones. Good people are dying out there from hunger, violence and many more messed up ways, and most of us are wondering how to get our newest phone working, or what time Lost is on. We see death and destruction all around us and it’s making us numb. If we dwelled on it too long, it could turn us into that angry kid who wants to get high.
I’ll tell you what though, I’m not going to stick a spike into my vain, and wish it all away. Instead of getting all Jim Morrison about it and ‘Getting my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames’, I’m re-affirming my commitment to the millions of people like myself. I’m talking about the people who shine. From the person who puts their last couple of pounds into the charity tin, with a smile, to the saint that dedicates their life to helping other people for nothing in return.
As long as there is fire in this Scotsman’s heart, I will shine. I will give up that last fiver for a mosquito net, to save a kid from malaria. I’ll reach out to people through kind word and gesture, and try to reason with hate. I’ll recycle, and buy fair trade goods. I’ll conserve energy, and talk my girlfriend into a moon cup. Whatever this life throws at me, it will only serve to strengthen my resolve. I will never give up on love.
I hope that in the end, us few millions, us beautiful few, will shine so bright, we will become the guiding light for billions to follow.
RIP Glaswegian statistics.
Shiny
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
About Me
- marky
- I live in a Pigeon loft in Glasgow. I fight dogs for food and mug cows for drink. Monkeys live in my beard. I have lived for centuries under my bed and only came out when they invented peanut m&m's. I understand everything.

7 comments:
Being a curious individual, I decided to google the "moon cup."
Thanks, Marky, for exposing me to that.
On a less disturbing note, did you know that Frito Lay is actually using a bio-degradable plastic bag for some of its products? It's not 100% degradable, but it's a step in the right direction.
Yeah, I'm a company man now. Sorry.
Wow, what a great post Marky. Sadly, it's not just Scotland that has gone to the crapper. Crime is rampant, and punishment is a joke. I just learned today the following: About 10 years ago a 16 yr old girl in my very small community was raped and cut into pieces and then discarded into a river; the person that was guilty was sentenced to death; the ruling was overturned yesterday or so and now the man is only serving time, with a possible chance or parole.
This makes me sick. My opinion of the death penalty changes quite a bit, but I'm all for just punishment. Good luck o'er there, friend. I'll do my best o'er here, and in the end we'll all get through this together.
Shine on!
WV: pollyp. It's an actual word, I think, but I'm not sure what it means.
Okay I JUST watched "The Changeling" and then read your post. I'm feeling a bit shaken up. It was a double-whammy.
Thanks for the post though.
Shine On Shiny Ones.
I work helping to save kids from becoming statistics. It can get grim, overwhelming and is regularly shocking but I wanted to work at something that I felt was giving back. I know it might sound corny but if we can save even one kid from drugs or violence per day it is worth the lower pay and the personal wear and tear. The job is a way to support myself, sure, but I feel as though I am part of a team working against all odds at giving kids maybe that one more chance to have a chance at a safe and good life.
The statistics here aren't the best either Marky. One word, Meth.
@Sailor Matt~ I am really glad to know about the partially biodegradable bags, you are right it is a step in the right direction. But didn't they use waxed paper at one time? Wait, that's killing trees! Okay, DEFINITELY in the right direction.
Thanks folks. It was late and I was in full on rant mode.
Company man, Matt. I'm glad to hear that Lay are taking a step in the right direction.
Logan, that's one hell of a story as well. As far as the death penalty goes, I'm dead against it. If somebody was to kill someone I loved, I'd want them to rot in jail thinking about what they did. Death is an easy way out for these people.
Sedulo, If I could shine half as bright as you, I would be a happy man. I applaud people like you until my hands hurt. If it wasn't for good solid humanitarians, this world would be a worse place.
Oh, and I've not seen The changeling yet. Any good?
"The Changeling" is very good. Directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Angelina Jolie, it is a harrowing and gimlet-eyed look at corruption in the Los Angeles police department in the 1930's. Angelina Jolie does a fantastic job as a mother whose child is kidnapped and then replaced with a different child. She shows grit, determination and is very spot on in her portrayal of a strong and determined yet haunted and fragile woman at that time. This film is intense and very emotional. It also has some creepy and grisly moments alog with courtroom drama. It was far better than I expected. The acting AND the story.
Found my way here following a link from your comment on Abercrombie's blog. I enjoy your writing style. Consider your blog bookmarked by a random American web-crawler!
Welcome aboard, David! I wasn't aware I actually had a writing style! You made my day.
Post a Comment