Today folks, I shall be reviewing Best Served Cold, By Joe Abercrombie. As the title suggests, it is a story of cold hard vengeance. Or as the French would put it: La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid.
I can honestly say that this is Mr Abercrombie’s best work to date, and a book I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. In fact, I’m saying, without a doubt in my shrivelled, evil little mind, that this is my book of the year so far.
I will not be offering up spoilers in this review, I don’t like them, and let’s face it, if you live in that backwater of literature the world likes to call America, you’ll no doubt be upset if I did resort to such heinous atrocities before you got a chance to lay your hands on it. In fact, you might even deem it a scudable offence! Please, don’t scud me!
If you’ve read Joe Abercrombie’s First Law series, then you’ll know what to expect in terms of writing style and language used. And yet again, Joe doesn’t pull any punches in terms of colourful language, and I’m very glad he hasn’t. His dialog has to be some of the best I’ve read, and one would suppose that it wouldn’t change much if made into a film script. It’s witty, harsh, and colourful in a way that keeps you gripped page after page.
BSC is a brave book. It would have been so easy to do a, what happened next, or a look into the life of one of the main characters, style of book. But instead Joe opted for a completely new character, with all new issues. And it works a treat. Don’t get me wrong, there are still a lot of characters in the book you’ll remember from the First Law series, and it will have you going off in tangents remembering them. Two of the side characters in The First Law books have much larger parts in BSC, and I for one was delighted to see one of my favourites have a much more prominent part to play.
I honestly thought this would just be a book to quell the fans thirst for more Nine Fingers and company, but as it turns out, it’s a fantastic book that leaves you wanting more of the new characters you’ve became acquainted with. I give Best Served Cold, a Marky score of 10 out of 10, and look forward to discussing it with you all when you read it.
And today’s music comes from Mando Diao, a band from Sweden. This one’s called Ochrasy, and I think it’s the cat’s pyjamas! Enjoy.
ED: Scudding is a Scottish saying for the extreme ouch-ness felt on the face when a hand is delivered to said area at high speed, and in no way is it representative of a SCUD missile. I would really hate a scud to the face, but I think a SCUD missile would be slightly worse for my complexion. Furthermore, the remark was a sarcastic dig at you lucky Americans who breed a great deal of my favourite authors, who make me wait for their works far longer than your good self’s.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
About Me
- marky
- I live in a Pigeon loft in Glasgow. I fight dogs for food and mug cows for drink. Monkeys live in my beard. I have lived for centuries under my bed and only came out when they invented peanut m&m's. I understand everything.

11 comments:
Great news about the book... I still have to wait till the end of July to grab it out here in the Backwater. Looks like it will be worth the wait. In the meanwhile, I've got another Scott Lynch book to read... gotta see what Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen are up to now...
Did you liked Best Served Cold better than The Name of the Wind?
I'm currently reading The Blade Itself, and I'm loving it. Heck, I have to, being one of the POV characters is a variation of Logan, my proud and wonderful first name. Maybe I'll start calling myself Logan Tenfingers.
I look forward to the sequels.
One thing you Brits have on us State folk: your cover art is always so much better.
What a coincidence... I was thinking of calling myself Fenris the Feared...
Good morning guys, I hope all is well.
@David. Man, that's a question and a half! BSC or TNOTW? It's a tough one. Pat's only really done one book so far, and what a book. Kvothe is an amazing character, and you know that he’s going to develop into something huge. I’ve read The Road To Levinshire, and I feel Kvothe will develop into one of the best characters I’ve ever read. He’s got a good moral code, but his melancholy nature adds a touch of romance and mystery to him. Wherever his path takes him, you know that he’s a guy you can point your finger at and say, “Yeah, he’s one of the good guys”. Add to this the fact that TNOTW is exceptionally written, and one of those ‘can’t put it down’ kind of books, and you have a cracker that you could recommend to anybody.
And then there’s BSC with its brutal honesty, and wonderfully written characters. I love the way any of these characters can stand alone in a book of their own, and that’s a testament to Joe’s writing. His use of moral ambiguity, brutal honesty and colourful scene setting, really floats my boat. I will let you into a little secret. Pat gets a mention in BSC, and I’d love to know what parts he and Joe were discussing. I’ve got my ideas, but that’s a chat for after you’ve read it.
So, I know I’ve rambled and not really came to any conclusion yet. But what’s a man to do? I like them both in different ways, but for me Joe takes it just on depth of characters and depth of world, simply because I feel Pat hasn’t even got warmed up yet! I’m sure once TWMF has been released this year, Joe will be challenged for top spot. But for now, I’d say Joe takes it. A marvellous writer, to whom I’ve got Captain Joe and Pat Rothfuss to thank for introducing me to his works.
@Logan. Ten fingers it is Dude! I’m so glad you’re reading the First Law series, and enjoying it. I’m positive you’ll also enjoy BSC.
I want to thank you again for the George RR Martin heads up. I’m on the second book, and if young Arya doesn’t get reunited with her wolf soon, I might turn into a sobbing little girl. He’s very similar to Tad Williams, in terms of epic story telling. A must read for any fantasy fan. Cheers.
Marky, the thing that makes GRRM's books so good is the characterization. There are some that I loved, some that I hated, and others that I pitied. I really like Tyrion, Arya, and Jon Snow. And the mystery. And the history. But whatever it is, GRRM can make your emotions tingle with each chapter.
How'd you like the climax in A Game of Thrones? I shouldn't say what happened, to keep it spoiler free, but it was breathtaking. I really wasn't expecting it. And from Sansa's POV (I think that was it. It might have been Arya.) made it quite appalling. Enjoy the rest of the series. And also enjoy waiting for the concluding volumes.
You've convinced me to try out this book, will it be as enjoyable for me, not having read any of his previous books?
@Logan. Man, what a cool Dragon ending, I thought they might hatch. There were some strange things going on between Daenerys and those dragon eggs. Also, add that with people returning from the dead, and I think there’s some evil on the rise! I’m not a 100% that Daenerys will turn out a bad one yet, I hope not. It would be nice to have some backup for the good guys in the form of dragons, but something tells me she might be looking for revenge.
The Starks are brilliant. Bran was a shocker! I had him down as the main hero at the start. I thought he'd grow up and save the day, and he might still. That kid still has potential me thinks.
Tyrion is a fantastic character. You can see that he has honour, and a conscious. He's totally the best of the Lannister’s. The rest seem warped. What’s with all the inbreeding in the book!?
The most heartbreaking part of the whole thing for me wasn’t Ned Stark getting his head lopped off, it was when Ned had to kill Sansa’s wolf. Honestly, you could kill millions in a book or movie and I can take it, but as soon as you kill a dog or a pet, I start filling up! I’ve always been a sucker for that ever since I watched Lassie!
I’ll do a blog on the books when I’ve finished them. I think most of you have read them, so it should be safe to discuss plot points.
@Paula. Hey-yup. Yeah, I think it’s a better idea if you read Joe Abercrombie’s First law series before hand. Best Served Cold is set in the same world as his three previous books. Although it is a stand-alone book about revenge, if you read it first, it might be a bit annoying as he does refer to past characters and places.
The first law series is fantastic too, and you should totally give them a gander. The characters are all brilliant, and the story takes you down all sorts of roads.
Enjoy them if you do pick em up, and thanks for shuffling on by.
Cheers folks, I love my book chats!
Aye, Marky, I've read all 4 that are currently out. I look forward to reading your blog when you're done, which is likely to take a while, as each book gets longer and better.
I'll post my remarks to The First Law as I read, most likely. Fantastic so far.
What, a new post and I'm LATE on the comments? Yes, waiting for BSC, thanks for no spoilers! Also, loving the Scott Lynch. Locke Lamora is so charming and clever and forever getting in trouble. "Don't forget to bring some cats!" If you know what I mean.
The GRRM books got me so hooked from the first shocker with Bran. Who CARES what he saw, he didn't understand...I can't believe what happened to him! Future mage methinks.
I have such theories at this point.
Like...what could POSSIBLY stop the super scary and unstoppable "others". Dragons perhaps? Who is Jon Snow's REAL father anyway...........? Can you hate Theon any MUCH MORE?!
Revenge? Danaerys? What about the Starks? Winter IS COMING!!!!!
Arya's wolf had better come back and that ending with the Danaerys self-immolation/dragons hatching is one of the best passages of GRRM's writing. What about the fate of her creepy brother? YIKES!
Fave characters: Arya, Jon, Tyrion, The Hound, Bran, and I'm going to have to throw Jaime the Kingslayer in too. Love to hate the Lannisters.
I've read all 4 of the GRRM as well and I read the first one right before the second came out. So, waiting for Pat's next book is nothing new.
I just read Brandon Sanderson's latest, "Warbreaker" new world with paranoid factions, new, groovily funkadelic system of magic, all wrapped up with a classic mythology type theme.
The First Law books are awesome because everything that is happening is written so raw and everything is so personal. The characters are amazing!!!! It is happening NOW and not prettily.
Some think they are too dark...HA!
Not I. Heroes aren't always nice people.
Sedulo, winter is indeed coming! They're great books so far, and I'd say that I'm enjoying them slightly more than Memory, Sorrow and Thorn...And that's saying something!
I have to admit that I've not managed more than a couple of pages recently before I pass out, but what I have managed, I'm loving.
I've got the day off today. I went to see the Boss last night, and every bone in my body aches!
I can't wait to hear what you think of BSC. I think you'll love it...Nah, I'm sure you will!
Other than the Hobbit many years ago, reading GRRM's series was what got me into Fantasy novels when I first read them back in the early 2000's. I was so angry after the Red Wedding, I threw Storm of Swords across the room and vowed never to pick it up again. That threat lasted almost a full 24 hours!
Excellent series, though I thought Feast was a step down. It's killing me to have to wait so long for A Dance with Dragons, but if it wasn't for the waiting time, I might not have read some of the other great books I've read since then. Like Name of the Wind, Abercrombie's First Law series and the Black Company Chronicles.
Anyway, read 'em and weep, that's what I say...
Post a Comment