Wednesday, 15 July 2009

Boss Time

Today I have a hangover, sore legs, neck and back. I have a headache that won’t go away, and I’m downright drained. I feel like I’ve went five seconds with Mike Tyson’s pinkie toe.

I woke up this morning looking like a contender for bum fights. I was wrapped in the Scottish flag, pakora sauce in my beard, and my hair was stuck to my face. The only sound emanating from my lips was a low guttural moan usually found on the lips of the lamest zombie.

Although I am hanging like a wet washing, I am also very, very happy. I’m the cat that got the cream, I am the morning after the awe inspiring, world shaking, Viagra taking, E-Street Band finally came to Scotland.

Mr Springsteen’s last appearance in Scotland was back in the 80’s, when he played Edinburgh on The Ghost of Tom Joad tour. This obviously bothered me, and my wallet. Any time he would tour, he’d miss out Scotland in favour of Cardiff, Manchester and London.

I’ve always known that he would get a great reception here, and I was not wrong.

I made it to Hampden Park for 11am yesterday. The doors opened at 5.30pm, so I had a few hours of waiting, drinking, singing, waiting and being rained on. I seemed to have had acquired a flag, a cowboy hat and some new friends in those fun hours. By the time the turnstiles opened, I was soaking, and in very good humour.

When we got through the turnstiles, we had to climb a set of stairs, and run down more stairs to get to the standing area on the pitch.

People were running down the stairs, and across the pitch to get to the cordoned off area in front of the stage. Luckily, Shona and I were one of the first there, so we managed to get a spot right down the front. If you’ve ever been down the front at a gig, you’ll know it’s the best and worse seat in the house. It’s amazing from the music point of view. You can’t get closer to the action unless you were on stage yourself, and the chances of interacting with the Boss are very high. All good things, but try and get a beer, or go for a pee! Then try to get back down the front again!

I’ve always been a believer in polite, truthful, and charming methods to get you back down the front at a gig. However, there’s always some tosser that likes to elbow you, because he thinks you’re just trying to push your way to the front. Some people don’t handle crowds well. To them I cast a look that is reminiscent of howling mad Murdoch mixed with grizzly Adams.

Anywhoo, to the gig.

Tens of thousands of Scots cheered as Nils Lofgren, walked out on stage and started playing Flower of Scotland on his harpsichord. The same tens of thousands rose in one voice and sung our national anthem. An uplifting start to a rock gig, that was all down to one man and a harpsichord! Honestly, it was like the first time I saw the E –Street Band in Dublin. Thousands of people all waiting on a big kick off to the show, and Bruce comes out with his 12 string and does an acoustic version of Born in the USA. I was knee deep in joy that day, and it was the same last night.

After Nils milked the crowd of the anthem one more time, Bruce and the band came on and jumped straight into Badlands, and the night’s greatness was set in stone.

Classic followed classic, and Outlaw Pete, among others, was given an outing from his new album. Half way through the gig, Bruce began grabbing signs people made with songs on them. He piled them on stage and chose some at random. First up was Incident on 57th street, then Pink Cadillac. He insisted on playing the first 30 seconds of it himself, which on his first go he messed up. He laughed at himself and said, “What the fuck is that cord again?” He went on to smoke the song, while prancing about the stage with Steve Van Zandt like a couple of teenagers.

His encore was tremendous. Born to run, Thunder road and This land, all were played, and all were adored. However, the biggest surprise of the night had to be his son joining him on stage. He looked proud as punch, and his kid loved every second of it. I predict huge things for Springsteen Jnr. He’s a handsome young guy, and he plays a mean guitar. Add that to the fact that his dad is the best live act in the world, and he can’t fail to be a success.

So today I don’t care that I’m lying around on the sofa writing this blog entry because I’m to weak to play Final fantasy. I don’t care if my brain still feels like mush, and my ears are still buzzing. I’m even happy that it took me two hours to get home last night, when I live ten minutes away by train. It was all worth it for that few hours I got to share the same stadium with the Boss. A true legend of a man.

14 comments:

logankstewart said...

Wow. What a night it must've been. I've never been to a Springsteen concert, but they're supposed to be amazing, and you've definitely qualified the reputation. Heh, and I've been too tired for Final Fantasy a few times before, too.

Did he play Nebraska? That's probably my favorite song of his.

David Wagner said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all. Unfortunately, I'm one of those fuddy-duddy's that prefers to stay away from crowds if at all possible, and yes, extra-loud music makes me long for a nice quiet bench somewhere, so I can sit in peace and smoke a pipe or some such...

So, yeah, concerts and me don't mix. But I'm glad you enjoyed yourself - so much so that you updated your blog in your condition! You must be riding high, indeed.

marky said...

Logan, it was a cracking night. There was no Nebraska I'm afraid. (My cats named Nebraska. It's one of my favourite albums)

You should go to a Springsteen gig if you get the chance. I've seen him 8 times and each time he gets better.
I hear he's added 25 extra dates in America! You lucky buggers!

Here's what he did play.
Set list:
[Nils solo accordion intro]
Badlands
Out in the Street
My Lucky Day
She's the One
Outlaw Pete
Working on the Highway
Working on a Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
Atlantic City
Raise Your Hand (instrumental)
Incident on 57th Street
Pink Cadillac
Cover Me
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
The Promised Land
The River
Kingdom of Days
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born to Run


Hard Times
Thunder Road
American Land
Bobby Jean
Dancing in the Dark
Twist and Shout

After reading the set list, I've noticed that it was an accordion Nils was playing, and I named American Land as This Land. Doh!

David, riding high indeed. I'm still floating on a Springsteen cloud. What a night! It's worth the annoyance of the crowd to see the Boss.

Anonymous said...

What? TWENTY-FIVE extra dates?
I just saw him March 29, 2008!

I haven't seen him as many times as you have. But I am going to see where he is performing on the West Coast...or even Vegas.

Did you know that Max Weinberg's 18 year old son Jay was filling in for his Dad on the European tour dates? Cool! You must've seen/heard him, yeah?

Is this still the MAGIC tour, 'cause that is one loooooong tour!

I am glad you had so much fun!!! The day after is rough though.

I just realized that the band I've seen perform in concert the most times is the Pretenders. I have seen them six times. I wasn't trying to see them so often but I like them, it just added up over time.

marky said...

Sedulo, I think Max's son came on at the end with Bruce's boy, but it was Max who was on drums for the Scotland gig.

Pretenders you say! I actually met Chrissie Hynde at the first T in the Park festival. They used to hold it at Strathclyde Park, but they've since changed the venue to Kinross.

It was our first night in the camp site and Chrissie turned up and played a few tunes. She was just there to join in the festival, but ended doing an acoustic set for the campers. There were plenty of people there who didn't have a clue who she was, and I only knew her because I liked UB40 at the time.

For turning up and entertaining us all, and putting us all in the mood for the coming festival, I’d have to say she’s got to go down as one of the coolest female singers ever to walk the planet.

Here’s the US dates for the Boss, you lucky, lucky American!

19-Aug Hartford, CT Comcast Theater On Sale Now
22-Aug Mansfield, MA Comcast Center On Sale Now
23-Aug Mansfield, MA Comcast Center On Sale Now
25-Aug Saratoga Springs, NY Saratoga Performing Arts Center On Sale Now
10-Sep Nashville, TN Sommett Center 25-Jul
12-Sep Tampa, FL Ford Amphitheatre 24-Jul
13-Sep Ft. Lauderdale, FL Bank Atlantic Center 24-Jul
16-Sep Greenville, SC Bi-Lo Center 31-Jul
20-Sep Chicago, IL United Center 1-Aug
30-Sep East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium Sold out
2-Oct East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium Sold out
3-Oct East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium Sold out
8-Oct East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium On Sale Now
9-Oct East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium Sold out
13-Oct Philadelphia, PA Spectrum 27-Jul
14-Oct Philadelphia, PA Spectrum 27-Jul
25-Oct St. Louis, MO Scottrade Center 8-Aug
26-Oct Kansas City, MO Sprint Center 8-Aug
2-Nov Washington, D.C. Verizon Center TBA
3-Nov Charlotte, NC Time Warner Cable Arena 28-Aug
7-Nov New York, NY Madison Square Garden TBA
8-Nov New York, NY Madison Square Garden TBA
10-Nov Cleveland, OH Quicken Loans Arena 22-Aug
13-Nov Auburn Hills, MI Palace At Auburn Hills 22-Aug
15-Nov Milwaukee, WI Bradley Center 1-Aug

Paula Titus said...

I had no idea Springsteen was still doing concerts, he's kind of old isn't he?

Sounds like you had a great time, if it had been me at this stage of my life - the drinking combined with loud music, immense crowds and stair climbing, I'd have been vomiting all over some poor bloke's shoes.

Krista said...

Cool, very cool!

Captain Joe said...

Born To Run? He did BORN TO RUN!?

Aw, man, you have lived, Marky.

marky said...

Paula, stuff of nonsense! I bet you can rock when you need to. We all have a little rock in us. All we need to do is let it out now and again, and roll it down the hill of life...Did you like that? Nah, me neither.

He is getting on a bit, but he gets about the stage at great pace. Although, I haven't seen him do a knee slide in almost two years. Maybe he's given it up? He still does the microphone pole dance. I ask you, is there anything better than an ageing rock star gyrating on a mic stand? Don't answer that!

Krista, a hearty welcome to you. I had to pull out the rock stars to get you here, eh? lol

And yes, twas sooooooooooo cool!

Joe! How's tricks pal? Born to run was amazing! It's one of my favourites too. And he knows just when to lay one of his power songs on you. How can a man fail to live when Springsteen fills your ears with life.
You know what’s coming next don’t you? If you get the chance…..yada, yada, yada. Trust me though, you wouldn’t be disappointed.

Krista said...

I'm a Rock Star kinda girl, what can I say? LOL ;-)

I only wish I could've been there, too cool!!

Captain Joe said...

THE HIGHWAYS JAMMED WITH BROKEN HEROES ON A LAST CHANCE POWER DRIVE!!!

logankstewart said...

So "The River" just came on my itunes, and I was struck by how powerful that song is. There's just some sort of magic in everything that song has to offer: lyrics, harmonica, music. It's enough to bring a grown man down to his knees and weep for days on end, completely unashamed and proud.

Naturally, I thought you should know about this.

Krista said...

So where's the new blog post, Marky? :) No new concerts of late ;)

marky said...

Here I am!!

Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
I live in a Pigeon loft in Glasgow. I fight dogs for food and mug cows for drink. Monkeys live in my beard. I have lived for centuries under my bed and only came out when they invented peanut m&m's. I understand everything.

Tunes